‘Tis the season for family, food, and fun . . . And everyone here at Silent Spring Institute wants you and your loved ones to have the healthiest of holiday seasons. That’s why we’ve put together this list of helpful tips on how to limit your exposure to worrisome chemicals commonly found in everyday products.
1. Choose fragrance-free candles made from natural materials.
2. When preparing a feast for your friends and family, shop for fresh ingredients. Try to limit canned or packaged foods.
3. Store those yummy leftovers in glass, ceramic, or stainless steel containers.
4. Ask your guests to leave their boots and shoes at the door. Invite them to bring an extra pair of shoes for inside or some festive slippers!
5. Avoid buying plastic toys for kids, especially products made of polycarbonate plastic or flexible vinyl. Look for untreated wooden toys instead.
6. Before you light up the fireplace, make sure the flue and chimney are properly installed and maintained.
7. Get your house smelling like the holidays with fresh greenery and homemade cookies, or cook up some hot apple cider with cinnamon. Avoid scented products.
8. Personal care products make great last-minute gifts, but remember to choose fragrance-free and avoid products with pesky parabens.
9. Create holiday crafts with care. If using hot glue guns, aerosol sprays, or strong-smelling paints, make sure the room is well ventilated and skip the scented markers.
10. Make it your New Year’s resolution to replace your non-stick pots and pans with enameled, cast iron, stainless steel, or anodized aluminum substitutes. You could even put a new set of cookware on your holiday wish list!
To learn about Silent Spring’s research on hazardous chemicals in everyday products, click here. For more tips on reducing your exposure to toxics in the home and beyond, download Detox Me, Silent Spring's free mobile app for healthier living.
Wishing you all a safe and happy holiday season,
Your friends at Silent Spring Institute